Post #36: 100 random things about me and my world
1. I don’t like the song “I Found Jesus” because it’s theologically incorrect. One time in church I actually changed the chorus to “Jesus found me” and made Steph laugh.
2. My favorite American cities are New York and Seattle.
3. My favorite Sesame Street character is Oscar the Grouch.
4. A friend of mine actually wrote a song for me once…it was really sweet and I get warm fuzzies every time I read it. (Props to Josh…)
5. I have no idea what my family’s medical history is because I’m adopted, and my biological parents live in Korea (as far as I know, anyway).
6. I believe in artistic worship–you don’t have to just sing to worship, you can use whatever talents you have. God *did* give them to you, after all, so why not use them to glorify Him?
7. “Mrs. Robinson” is one of the greatest songs ever.
8. Three (or is it four?) of my guy friends threw a band together @ senior camp, and they’re called “8mill.” One day they’ll be famous…maybe…
9. I have a random obsession with stickers.
10. I make some of my own jewelry.
11. In some ways, I’m sorta glad I’m adopted because 1) it gives me a reason to believe in predestination (hehehe) and 2) my mom’s side of the family has some really bad medical history (cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, heart disease, etc.).
12. Favorite poets: e.e. cummings, T.S. Eliot, Viggo Mortensen (better known as “Aragorn”), John Donne, Billy Collins
13. I wish I were a guy sometimes because I want to be a baritone.
14. Chai tea = black tea + cinnamon + cardamom + cloves + black peppercorns + honey + vanilla + milk + some other spices I can’t remember = really, really good.
15. My Utmost for His Highest is pretty good, but it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Of course, so does everything else.
16. I think I’m just about to quit growing, which is fine with me b/c I’m a pretty decent height. 5’6.5″
17. I started this blog because of Kevin Barbieux, better known to the world as “The Homeless Guy.”
18. Right now, I’m listening to “My Glorious.”
19. My dog likes to eat my guitar picks.
20. I can do a pretty decent English accent.
21. My parents’ 32-year wedding anniversary is on the 23rd. My mom was 17 and my dad was 21 when they got hitched.
22. My dad used to look like Adam Sandler.
23. My older brother’s in Afghanistan right now, working for the U.S. government (he’s in the army)
24. Favorite authors: Donald Miller, William Shakespeare, John Grisham, the guys who wrote Four Souls, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis
25. For some reason, I’m not a real big fan of women’s writing. I can think of very few women whose work I actually have ever really enjoyed that much. Although I will say, I do like Dorothy Sayers’ writing.
26. Sign language is great.
27. I can tell you the middle names of almost all of my friends. Some of them are rather interesting.
28. One of my friends’ middle names is Ivy. Funny thing is, he’s a guy.
29. Oratory is fun.
30. I want to go back and teach @ CCCS…I figure if anything I’ll make some sort of difference.
31. Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen: a bunch of then-sophomore guys doing an “interpretive dance” to Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody.” That was freaky.
32. I’ve never broken a bone or been admitted to the hospital.
33. I don’t mind shots or getting blood taken. Maybe I’m weird.
34. My first words were “no way.”
35. I have this theory about my first words…I think it’s a one-year-old’s pronunciation of some random Korean word that got stuck in my subconscious.
36. Lately I’ve been having all this dreams coming true…*Twilight Zone music*
37. I’ve never been good at math.
38. Sometimes I wonder if the math and science portions of my brain just died when I was little and I never realized it.
39. Josh Groban is the bomb. (And he’s pretty hot, too…lol)
40. Something about Judaism is very attractive to me. I think it’s because it’s the religion Christianity stemmed from, and it’s not nearly as studied by Christians as it could be.
41. When I was in grade school, I was a huge fan of Laura Ingalls Wilder.
42. Penguins = the coolest bird ever.
43. Favorite guy vocalists: Josh Groban, Derek Webb, Philip Quast, David Crowder, Jason Wade, Scott Stapp, Reese Roper, Michael Crawford, Gene Kelly, Cliff Young, Andrew Graber, Ryan Wallace, Zach Schilleci, Josh Kendall, Mr. Malouf, JonMicah Milbourne, Caleb Fleming, Alan Fath, Marshall Craven, my dad, Don Chaffer
44. Favorite girl vocalists: Christy Nockels, Christine Dente, Lea Salonga, the chick from Chasing Furies, Adrienne Liesching, Mandy Fath, Monika Graber, Amanda Weppler, Candace O’Malley, Kristolyn Lloyd, Celine Dion, Lori Chaffer
45. “Soteriology” is a cool word…it means “the study of salvation and what is involved with it.”
46. When I was in ninth grade, I tried writing a play entitled “The Wonderful Wizard of Odd.” I never finished it, though, because it sort of degenerated into a bunch of chaotic nothingness. It was scary.
47. Fasting is rather interesting…
48. “This is a what” is fun but it can get really, really annoying after a while. “This is a blog.” “A what?” “A blog.” “A what?” “A blog?” “Oh, a blog!”
49. My favorite verse in the Bible is Psalm 116:8-10.
50. I had a foster mother when I was a baby…her name was Han Kyu Kim. My old records describe her as “careful and mild-natured.”
51. All of a sudden I want to meet that woman and tell her “thank you.”
52. If anyone is actually wondering where I got this information, my dad just gave me all of my old records from the adoption agency.
53. My biological family is from a suburb of Seoul called Hanyang. Hanyang:Seoul::Tomball:Houston. Only as far as I know, it’s not a storage ground for the hicks.
54. Hanyang is a college town, by the way–it’s home to Hanyang University. (Creative name, eh?)
55. When I was young I thought I was going to be a scientist.
56. I’ve been going to the same church for eleven and a half years.
57. English seems like an interesting major.
58. For some reason I want to move to the Middle East.
59. “Hello, my name is Amanda, and I’m a coffee addict.”
60. I think Houston’s the fattest city in the country because we have to drive everywhere.
61. One of my goals in life is to become multilingual. I’m working on Spanish and ASL; I still need to learn Chinese, Hindi, Hebrew, Italian, Swahili, Portugese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, and French.
62. If I wasn’t a Christian, I think I’d probably be into New Age. For some reason I’ve always had a fascination with the mystic and supernatural, but I have to bring that under the umbrella of Christ or else I’d probably be way off.
63. 2% milk is my dairy product of choice.
64. I keep a journal semi-regularly.
65. Favorite plays/musicals: South Pacific, Les Miserables, 42nd Street, Our Town, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Crucible, Hamlet, Singing in the Rain, The Lion King
66: My vocal range: F below middle C to two G’s above middle C. I can get kind of higher and lower if I warm up a lot, but most of the time I just stick there.
67. If I have a daughter, I want to name her Magdalena and call her Maggie.
68. I used to be able to quote “anyone lived in a pretty how town” verbatim. I can get about as far as the third stanza now.
69. I just learned how to write my Korean name in Korean.
70. One time, I came up with an argument for total depravity that was based on Lord of the Rings. It’s hiding out on this blog somewhere in those archives that got eaten.
71. My best friend in grade school was named Paul Carrubba. I miss him a lot.
72. Come to think of it, it’s easier for me to make friends with guys than girls. Not real sure why. This isn’t to say that I don’t have any girl friends, but it’s easier for me to get close to guys.
73. I tend to think of my really close friends as extensions of my family–adopted brothers and sisters.
74. Black and white photography is cool.
75. Favorite LotR character: Aragorn or Pippin.
76. Every time I see The Prayer of Jabez in stores, I have this weird compulsion to buy every single copy they have, and then go out and burn them.
77: I was a finalist in a city-wide spelling bee in seventh grade.
78. I have a fear of falling.
79. The coolest Bible study I’ve ever done was a book study of Hosea.
80. My favorite book of the Bible, though, is Ecclesiastes.
81. I just realized this is going to be a really, really long post…
82. Once I learned how to say something in Hebrew. It was “Blessed are You, oh Lord our God, King of the universe, who is good and bestows goodness.” It sounds cooler in Hebrew.
83. I have somewhat mild depression…it only comes around really bad every three years.
84. For a while, I’ve been interested in psychology, especially in the area of mental illnesses and mental disorders
85. “Hi” to everyone who actually reads this blog.
86. Out of the Void has named me their PR representative (hi, Scott), so go visit their site!
87. 8Count is this weekend!
88. My social security number is ***-**-****. Hehehe…
89. I still want to learn how to play “Stairway to Heaven.”
90. I always get worshipful whenever it’s raining…it’s sort of this thing between God and I. Rain’s basically this symbol, to me, of God’s mercy, how He washes everything old away so He can bring in the new.
91. Hymns are cool.
92. “Worlds Apart” by Jars of Clay is my theme song.
93. Hi to all my fellow bloggers!
94. I got my love of sleep, random sense of humor, and theological study from my dad.
95. I got my creativity, appreciation of people, and general need to be hospitable from my mom.
96. For some reason I get really giddy whenever I’m bored. I think it’s to compensate.
97. Mr. Ozmun wants me to do oratory in March…I can’t think of a topic.
98. Mr. Ozmun is one of my favorite teachers ever, too. (And not just because he wants me to do oratory, either.)
99. My mom almost got me started collecting cows. I never did, though.
100. The only thing I really collect is CDs, and as of now I have over 100. Half of those I don’t even listen to anymore.