This week: 13 of your favorite movie lines.
1. “What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?” –Rob Gordon, in High Fidelity
2. “No more rhymes! I mean it!” “Anybody want a peanut?” “AGGGGH.” –The Sicilian and Fezzik, in The Princess Bride
3. “Gee, Ricky, I’m real sorry your mom blew up.” –Lane Meyer, in Better Off Dead.
4. “Well, there’s the usual things: flowers… chocolates… promises you don’t intend to keep…” –Cogsworth, in Beauty and the Beast
5. “There’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.” –Sam Gamgee, in The Two Towers
6. “My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.” –Maximus, in Gladiator
7. “I’m American, honey, our names don’t mean s***.”–Butch, in Pulp Fiction
8. “…Now I’m thinkin’: it could mean you’re the evil man. And I’m the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here, he’s the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could be you’re the righteous man and I’m the shepherd and it’s the world that’s evil and selfish. I’d like that. But that shit ain’t the truth. The truth is you’re the weak. And I’m the tyranny of evil men. But I’m tryin’, Ringo. I’m tryin’ real hard to be a shepherd. “–Jules, in Pulp Fiction
9. “And the Lord spake, saying, “First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.”–a random cleric, in Monty Python and the Holy Grail
10. “Everything in this room is eatable. Even I’m eatable! But that my dear children. is called cannibalism; and that is frowned upon in most societies.”–Willy Wonka, in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
11. “How much is ‘wow’?” “It’s right in between, uh, ‘ouch’ and ‘boing’.” “Wow…”–Phil Davis and Bob Wallace in White Christmas
12. “Nobody sits like this rock sits. You rock, rock. The rock just sits and is. You show us how to just sit here and that’s what we need.”–Albert in I Heart Huckabees
13. “Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.” “Are you like a crazy person?” “I am quite sure they will say so.”–V and Evey, in V for Vendetta