This week: 13 of your favorite book passages.
1. Aslan’s resurrection, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
2. The last few chapters of Augustine’s Confessions, where he riffs for pages and pages about time and memory and what have you, then ends up by saying, “But this is such a huge mystery that I can’t even begin to understand–God, You know how it all works.”
3. When Jedd and Lena have to say goodbye, Four Souls.
4. Pi talks to a priest in Life of Pi: “”Surely this religion had more than one story in its bag–religions abound with stories. But Father Martin made me understand that the stories that came before it–and there were many–were simply prologue to the Christians. Their religion had one Story, and to it they came back again and again, over and over. It was story enough for them.”
5. The boys bust out of jail, and all of a sudden there’s a Toyota right outside, Going After Cacciato.
6. Oscar finally meets Mr. Black, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.
7. The last bit of The Violent Bear It Away: “GO AND WARN MY PEOPLE OF THE TERRIBLE SPEED OF MERCY.”
8. This’ll sound really weird to those of you who haven’t read it, but the index to Pale Fire.
9. Venus comes to visit earth, and everyone gets, uh, kinda happy (and this is not nearly as dirty as it sounds), That Hideous Strength.
10. The kids go to a software convention, Microserfs.
11. The center chapter of Cloud Atlas.
12. Paul and Barnabas reconcile, Paul: A Novel.
13. The kids and Ben Weathersbee sing the Doxology in the garden, The Secret Garden.