(starting music: Caedmon’s Call – Expectations–I just got the new CD today, and it is tasty)
1. Call for readers: If anyone has the time and interest in reading and critiquing a twenty-one page document for me, give me a shoutout and I’ll e-mail it to you. (It’s double-spaced 12-point Courier, so it’s not a real long twenty-one pages.)
2. Convicting moment at work: I’d been complaining about something or other, and then this little kid nearby was throwing a fit because he didn’t get something he wanted. I thought, Shut up, kid, you can’t always get what you want, and then immediately thought, That kid is me. Oops. Those moments are when the Spirit jabs you in the heart and then applies a salve right afterwards.
3. For some reason (maybe Derek Webb’s new album’s just starting to sink in), I’ve been thinking a lot about nonviolence lately. Now, I’m not completely anti-violence–I think there’s a time and a place for it, but you’d better have a really good reason for using it, and no, personal* revenge or gain is not a good reason. The thing is, though, that it’s hard to be a person of peace when your own heart is full of anger and strife and hatred, whether toward other people or toward yourself, so it’s like anything else–it comes from the inside-out. Peace is, after all, a fruit of the Spirit, not of ourselves.
(*And yes, I mean personal, on an individual level, so if you’re trying to read commentary on the war into this, knock it off. 🙂 )
4. And yes, I accept that the world will never be completely free of violence until Jesus comes and smites the wicked, but He also told us to pray for the kingdom to come and His will to be done on earth, and I don’t necessarily believe that He meant that to be just some future event. This applies to a lot of things. 🙂
5. Reader survey, because we haven’t done one in a while, and I’m a comment junkie (I very nearly put something else, but my father reads this blog…):
a) Who sent you the last non-bill, non-junk mail thing you got in the mail, and what was it?
b) How many e-mails are in your inbox?
c) What was the last CD you bought?
d) Who was the last person you called?