This week: 13 favorite children’s books.
(Note: Oddly, I didn’t read a lot of these until I was in high school or college. What can you say?)
1. The Chronicles of Narnia.
2. The Little House On the Prairie books.
3. Winnie-the-Pooh and The House on Pooh Corner.
4. A Wrinkle in Time.
5. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.
6. There’s a Monster at the End of This Book! (Yes, the old-school Sesame Street one with Grover…it’s around here somewhere.)
7. A classic: Where the Sidewalk Ends.
8. Hope for the Flowers, by Trina Paulus–it’s an allegorical story about butterflies, if that tells you anything. It’s lovely.
9. Okay, I was going to try to get through this without mentioning it, but I just can’t: the Harry Potter series.
10. The Hobbit (that counts as a kid’s book, right?).
11. Apples, Snakes, and Bellyaches (book of poetry).
12. Sideways Stories from Wayside School (does anyone else remember these?)
13. Shiloh (yes, the one about the beagle).