This week: 13 theater roles you’d want to play, regardless of gender or other qualifications.
1. Mark Cohen, Rent (I’ve already got the glasses and all…).
2. Emily Webb, Our Town.
3. Titania, A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
4. Violet, Twelfth Night.
5. The Angel of America, Angels in America.
6. Dr. Vivian Bearing, Wit.
7. John the Baptist/Judas, Godspell (and actually, I’ve heard of women doing this before).
8. Marcy Park, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.
9. Eponine Thenardier, Les Miserables (ever notice how every girl wants to be Eponine? No one I know wants to be Fantine or Cosette–no, Eponine. Why? Because she is the stuff).
10. Amy, Company (*runs screaming from the room*).
11. Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd.
12. Maggie the Cat, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (one day, when they do the first all-Asian production…).
13. Eve, The Skin of Our Teeth (a Thornton Wilder play about the end of the world–more fun than it sounds).