This week: Thirteen roles in plays or musicals that are for the opposite sex, but that you wish you could play somehow.
2. Mark Cohen in Rent.
3. Angel in Rent too, actually. I guess I could do it, but it’d end up being some crazy Victor/Victoria kind of thing and be all awkward.
4. Jean Valjean. Remember my crazy idea to do a gender-reversal of Les Mis? It was mostly born of my desire to hear a woman do “Bring Him Home”.
5. Oh my word, Bobby in Company.
6. Linus in You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.
7. The stage manager in Our Town (and actually, who’s to tell me I can’t?)
8. Rosencrantz or Guildenstern in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.
9. Usnavi in In the Heights.
10. Horatio in Hamlet, if only because he gets to deliver the “Good night, sweet prince” line.
11. John the Baptist/Judas in Godspell.
12. Motel the tailor in Fiddler on the Roof.
13. The balladeer in Assassins.