This week: Thirteen elements of your ultimate road trip, if time, money, and logic were no object.
1. Car with very good gas mileage and very good stereo system.
2. Route 66. Highway 1 in California.
3. As many friends as could comfortably fit in the car.
4. Either a large number of CDs or a bunch of well-equipped iPods.
5. A detour somewhere to Joshua Tree National Park–yes, while listening to Joshua Tree.
6. Has to include some time in mid-August so we could watch the Perseid meteor showers in the mountains somewhere.
7. Hiking. (Seriously. I like hiking.)
8. Lots of coffee.
9. A detour to Seattle and Pike’s Place Market.
10. A good concert at a good venue.
11. Conversation at three in the morning at a diner in the middle of nowhere.
13. Stop at a casino somewhere and play slots.