This week: Inspired by the “tweet your 16-year-old self” meme on Twitter, 13 things you wish you could tell your 16-year-old self.
1. High school is not worth that much anxiety, seriously.
2. T-shirts come in colors other than black. You should try them.
3. That guy you’re so in love with ends up breaking your heart and running his life off the rails, so get over it already.
4. Junk in your family runs deeper than you know, and you don’t have to feel responsible for it.
5. Seriously, sister, you can’t act. Stick to music; it’ll make you happier.
6. You won’t be speaking to about 80% of all these people you’re trying to impress except occasionally, so just be yourself.
7. Seriously, get some sleep.
8. You end up becoming a librarian, which isn’t nearly as boring as it sounds.
9. Love your dog more.
10. Your teachers were wrong–the only time you’ll use pre-cal after high school is for your GRE.
11. You will end up doing things like drinking, smoking, occasionally swearing, and voting Democrat. Brace yourself.
12. You should practice your guitar more, boo. That’ll come in handy.
13. You’re going to have times soon when you feel like there’s no hope. Don’t believe it. There are so many people who want you around. I say this on the other side and can tell you, we not only survive, we are actually really happy. So take heart, dear one, God will lift up your head.