1. I’ve been very interested in the whole Egypt situation, so watching what happens in the next few years is going to hold my attention. Fascinating stuff.
2. I have a very difficult time allowing people to do nice things for me without feeling either insulted or like I’m in their debt. Not sure why this is.
3. This was my friend David E.’s Facebook status earlier this week: “Assertion: Christian men are afraid of their own sexuality. Discuss.” So. Discuss. [Also, Christian women are, too, but for different reasons.]
4. Fantastic quote from Makoto Fujimura: “We today have a language to celebrate waywardness, but we do not have a cultural language to bring people back home.” I’ve been pondering what that means, especially as someone who feels unsettled a lot. What does that kind of cultural language look like practically? Hospitality is part of it, I think, but what else?
5. Something I’ve been realizing this week: It’s okay for me to be emotional, but not to totally be ruled by my feelings. God doesn’t want me to be a stoic; He made me to feel things, but also to submit those feelings to His care. A lot of crazy things happened to me the past few months, and I think I’m just now allowing myself to emotionally react to them. While it’s a little difficult to work through, it’s definitely a good sign, because it means I’m not afraid to feel anymore. I do that. We are really complex and multifaceted creatures, and it gets a little interesting to let God be the Lord of all of it. [Well, He is Lord of all of it already; it’s more a matter of our reaction to it, I suppose.]
6. Related: I think a lot of times we mistake denial for surrender.
7. I hate admitting this, but I haven’t felt like reading much lately. I mean, I still like to read, and I’m in the middle of a few books, but it’s slow going, partially because I just don’t think about it. This is perhaps because my brain has just decided, okay, you need a break. Maybe. Or maybe it just means I’m becoming a lazy bum. 😉
8. I started working for Target/Starbucks again, and I have been having serious cravings for milk and cookies ever since, which is kind of terrible.
9. So, a question for you all: What is the most important thing in your life right now?