or, what happened this weekend:
* On Thursday, I went out to coffee after work with my friend Mia; we got to tell each other our stories and drink some americanos and pray for one another.
* And then I went to the Life Center, which is a homeless shelter that my church has worked with for a while now. Our community group meets there once a month and we eat dinner and do Bible study with those folks. They’re great to hang out with, but there’s a lot of deliverance that needs to happen there. Anyway, the thing about doing Bible study at the Life Center is that sometimes discussion can get derailed pretty quickly, so it’s always fun to wrangle it back to Jesus and keep it there…
* Friday night my friend Meagan had an art show with some other folks at this place in Montrose. Beforehand a bunch of us went to dinner and got some of the best ribs I have ever eaten (like, you couldn’t pick them up because the meat would have just fallen off back onto the plate anyway) and listened to terrible rap music and chatted. The art show itself was pretty incredible, with lots of talent represented (Meagan’s stuff was amazing!), and a bunch of people from church came out to support our buddy. My friend Leon and I met this guy named Caleb from the place that hosted it; he’s a believer, and we had some good conversation about reaching and loving the city.
* And then on Saturday I hosted a birthday/housewarming party for my friend Steph and her mom, so we prepped for that all day (I think we hit every grocery store in a five-mile radius, right, Steph?). The party itself was a blast; a lot of different people from their different circles came out (including my dad, the hermit, which was a minor miracle) and we ate food and talked and hung out and listened to music. So if you’re reading this and you came out, thanks again!
* Sunday I got to sing at church again (Kaleoians sound beautiful when we sing together and it makes my heart happy). We had a guest preacher who talked to us about God’s faithfulness to keep His promises in the middle of our unfaithfulness, which did me a lot of good to hear. And a bunch of us went to lunch (Mission Burrito = yum) and then I went to Steph’s and took a nap on her couch (hallelujah).
* So on Sunday nights a group of us have been praying at Leon and Ephrem’s apartment; last night for some reason was particularly good. Somehow we got from telling each other the worst injuries we’ve ever had to sharing our testimonies, which was amazing…
* And the crazy thing is that all last week I was feeling kind of discouraged and having to preach the gospel to myself a lot, and then all this weekend God has been pouring all this beauty out on me and all these people around me. His promises are true. He is more than faithful to us.