(This is going up later than I expected, oops.)
Well! Hello. Tomorrow is my 33rd birthday. Like I told some friends tonight at dinner, once I turned 30, every birthday since then has just been like…eh, the number changed, that’s cool, I guess. When I turn 40 I think I’ll make a bigger deal of that, but right now? Eh. I’ll eat some ice cream and move on with my life.
I do always wonder what my birth parents do when my birthday rolls around. Do they even remember that it’s my birthday? Do they pause sometime in their day and wonder how I’m doing? Who knows. I hope they’re doing well. One day I hope I can tell them in person that my life has been pretty good, and that I’m thankful to them for it.
Tomorrow on the day proper I’m going to church and a baby shower, and then I think I’ll treat myself to a movie and a fancy drink at the Alamo Drafthouse out in Katy. I think this year is going to be good.
Anyway! Here are the links:
Good night, y’all. Have a good rest of your weekend.
This week: 13 things you’ve paid for this month.
- A pound of coffee.
- An excellent sandwich from Local Foods (the turkey confit, for you Houston folk).
- Tolls (boo).
- The migas plate at Tacos A Go-Go (yum).
- My dad’s birthday present (which I still haven’t given him, and his birthday was 8 days ago, oops).
- The flat enchiladas at Lupe Tortilla for my friend Rob’s birthday dinner.
- Half-gallon of (light unsweetened original Silk soy) milk.
- Kitchen sponges.
- Shampoo (trying a new one–so far, so good, and it smells nice at that. It’s a Garnier something or other).
- A kind of late Christmas dinner at Dish Society with my friends (still during Christmastide, though, so it counts).
- $20 worth of stocks (I use an app called Stash that automatically buys $10 of stocks for me every week–it’s quite handy and I don’t really have to think about it).
Happy Epiphany! (Also: 20+C+M+B+18.) Today in the church calendar we celebrate Jesus being visited by the Magi, and thus also that the Jewish Messiah also came to save us Gentiles and pagans, a fact this near-thoroughly Gentile woman very much appreciates. And we also celebrate all the ways that Jesus shows up and shows off His glory in unexpected places, culminating in His transfiguration the Sunday before Lent. How is God showing up in your life these days? Just something to ponder today.
I am currently sitting on my floor watching YouTube videos and eating noodles. In a minute I need to take out my trash and go get the oil changed in my car, so all in all a pretty low-key Saturday. I may come home and watch a movie and eat some more of these noodles and do some laundry so I actually have clean clothes to wear to work next week, or I may just blow off responsibility entirely and go walk around Target and spend money on stuff I don’t need. Or something. Who knows. This is the only Saturday this month I don’t have anything on my calendar, so I intend to enjoy it fully and introvertedly.
Anyway, here are the links–not many this week, as I haven’t really been reading a whole lot online:
Have a nice rest of your weekend!
This week: 13 movies that are either currently in theaters or are coming out this year that you want to go see.
- Black Panther
- Isle of Dogs
- Lady Bird (I have heard nothing but great things about this)
- The Shape of Water
- A Wrinkle In Time
- Ocean’s 8
- Ready Player One
- Ralph Breaks the Internet
- Call Me By Your Name
- The Florida Project
- The Greatest Showman (I’ve heard mixed reviews, but I’m still curious)